[ovs-dev] How to set VXLAN VNI?

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Tue Feb 26 14:54:58 UTC 2013

On Feb 25, 2013, at 10:00 PM, Changbin Liu <changbin.liu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Kyle,
>
> Thanks so much for your reply!
>
> To clarify, I noticed the code was broken recently and have been using
> "3b6f2889400fd340b851c2d36356457559ae6e81", where you fixed one VXLAN bug in early Jan.
>
> I tried your first way:
>
> ovs-vsctl add-port br5 vxlan5 -- set interface vxlan5 type=vxlan options:remote_ip=192.168.5.14 options:key=<VNI> options:dst_port=9999
>
> It works! I used an integer as VNI and via Wireshark I can see it is correctly set in the packets . Just curious: it works even without "options:dst_port=9999". Is it necessary to set dst_port here?

Great, glad it works! It's not necessary to set the destination port there, that's useful if you'd like to change it from the default. I had copied and pasted that from a prior example of mine.

> Another (less relevant) question is that, has OpenvSwitch's VXLAN supported STP or similar protocols to avoid loops? We are now using hub and spoke network topology to get around this issue.

I'm not following you here. Do you mean does VXLAN encapsulate STP packets? Or are you looking for how VXLAN interacts with STP?