[ovs-dev] Fwd: [ovs-discuss] Regarding open-vSwitch errors

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Jan 3 16:58:27 UTC 2013

I'm not sure whether the original poster is asking the difference
between OVS and the Linux bridge or between a bridge and a switch.  In
the latter case:

Q: I thought Open vSwitch was a virtual Ethernet switch, but the
   documentation keeps talking about bridges.  What's a bridge?

A: In networking, the terms "bridge" and "switch" are synonyms.  Open
   vSwitch implements an Ethernet switch, which means that it is also
   an Ethernet bridge.