[ovs-dev] Question about the availabiltiy of ovs python binding.

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Fri Jan 4 16:34:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 04:22:24PM +0000, ?????? wrote:
>   1. I want to run the ovs idl in a sperate thread, but the implementation
> traps some fatal signal to remove unix socket file which is not allowed in
> the thread that is no the main thread, does ovs idl python implementatin
> only aimed to be used in the main thread or single process? If it can be
> used in a single thread, what's the status of thread-safety?

We have only tested it in the main thread.  We would accept cleanly
written patches to make it thread-safe.

>    2. I want know the stability of the python binding,  from the git-web
> status I found that there still some bugs have been just fixed

We use it in production (e.g. in the "ovs-xapi-sync" daemon used under
XenServer).  The recently fixed bugs under the "python" directory are
corner cases that didn't affect its usability for our purposes.

I'm not aware of much use of the binding outside of Nicira/VMware code,
so new users are likely to use it in new ways and uncover new bugs.