[ovs-dev] [BUG] broad-/multicast & SLB bonding -> FAIL

Markus Schuster ml at markus.schuster.name
Wed Jan 23 17:18:52 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 23 January 2013 17:49:09 Ben Pfaff wrote:
> It looks like you have each interface on an SLB bond connected to two
> different switches.

Correct.

> That's not a supported configuration and won't work reliably.

OK, any explanation why? Or to say it the other way: I can't see any
technical reason why it should work on the same switch but not on two
different? The MAC will jump between the ports the very same way and the VM
will suffer from the same connectivity issues, no matter what.

btw: XCP/XenServer used classical Linux bonding (SLB implemented on top)
before - connecting the bond slaves to different switches was a supported
configuration and recommended for redundancy reasons.

I hope you can give me some technical explanation so I understand your point.

Regards,
Markus