[ovs-dev] [BUG] broad-/multicast & SLB bonding -> FAIL

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Jan 23 21:31:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 06:18:52PM +0100, Markus Schuster wrote:
>> On Wednesday 23 January 2013 17:49:09 Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> > It looks like you have each interface on an SLB bond connected to two
>> > different switches.
>>
>> Correct.
>>

>> > That's not a supported configuration and won't work reliably.
>>
>> OK, any explanation why? Or to say it the other way: I can't see any
>> technical reason why it should work on the same switch but not on two
>> different? The MAC will jump between the ports the very same way and the VM
>> will suffer from the same connectivity issues, no matter what.
>
> Jesse, can you remind me why?  I can never remember.  This time, I'll
> add it to the FAQ.

It does seem risky given the other problems inherent in SLB bonding
but I can't actually think of a problem off the top of my head.  It's
been at least 3 years since I worked on that code though, so I don't
really remember if I said something before.

The behavior described seems odd though and not really related to the
upstream switch configuration.  Were there any modifications made to
the flow table?