[ovs-dev] Support for LISP Control Plane

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Tue Jun 4 22:07:20 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Vina Ermagan (vermagan)
<vermagan at cisco.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is a follow up on the discussion in late January about next steps for
> LISP support in OVS. We want to start executing on the medium term plans,
> namely support for LISP control plane (I copied the past conversation below
> for reference). We are interested in your feedback on this.
>
> We see two non-exclusive approaches to enable LISP cp in OVS:
>
> 1 – Use Open Flow to query the OF controller and install new mappings. This
> requires support for the flow-based tunneling
> (action=set_field:<OVSx_IP>->tun_dst) in open flow protocol/controller.
>
> 2 – Extend vswitchd to support a light weight LISP cp, enabling vswitchd to
> query a (open source/commercial) LISP Map Server using the LISP protocol
> (RFC 6830).
>
> We are thinking of starting with the second option, extending vswitchd with
> a light weight LISP cp. Thoughts?
>
> If this sounds good we can put together a more detailed plan on extending
> vswitchd, and share it sometime next week.

Sorry, I was traveling last week and am just catching up on email.

I think either approach is fine and, as you say, they aren't mutually
exclusive. My only real concern with the second one is that we make
sure that it is designed in such a way that it is modular - otherwise
as we add support for more protocols the code will become difficult to
maintain.

Out of curiosity - I know that LISP has several more components in the
dataplane that aren't implemented currently. Is the protocol useful
without these or do you have plans to implement them?