[ovs-dev] setting Openflow Protocol version in opevswitch

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Jun 5 04:40:22 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 05, 2013 at 08:22:13AM +0530, Nikhil wrote:
> I am not able to set the version of ovs to be compatible with of1.2 & of
> 1.3 using
>
> *sudo ovs-vsctl set Bridge A1 protocols=OpenFlow12,OpenFlow13,OpenFlow10*
> *
> *
> "The error i am getting is that there is no row called protocols in Bridge
> table"
>
> vm:~/ryu/bin$ ovs-vsctl --version
> ovs-vsctl (Open vSwitch) *1.4.3*

This is in the FAQ.

Q: What versions of OpenFlow does Open vSwitch support?

A: Open vSwitch 1.9 and earlier support only OpenFlow 1.0 (plus
   extensions that bring in many of the features from later versions
   of OpenFlow).

   Open vSwitch versions 1.10 and later will have experimental support
   for OpenFlow 1.2 and 1.3.  On these versions of Open vSwitch, the
   following command enables OpenFlow 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3 on bridge br0:

       ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 protocols=openflow10,openflow12,openflow13

   Support for OpenFlow 1.1 is incomplete enough that it cannot yet be
   enabled, even experimentally.

   Support for OpenFlow 1.2 and 1.3 is still incomplete.  Work to be
   done is tracked in OPENFLOW-1.1+ in the Open vSwitch source tree
   (also via http://openvswitch.org/development/openflow-1-x-plan/).
   When support for a given OpenFlow version is solidly implemented,
   Open vSwitch will enable that version by default.