[ovs-dev] Running openvswitch in Android

muddin muddin at cs.odu.edu
Wed Jun 12 23:26:57 UTC 2013

Hello,

We have compiled and installed the openvswitch in the android platform. Following is the version details of the Android and the OpenvSwitch

          Android version:  4.2.2 (jelly bean)

      Android source git: https://android.googlesource.com/device/lge/mako-kernel

          Android Kernel source git: https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm.git

          Kernel version:  3.4

          Android Build: full_mako-usedebug 4.2.2 JDQ39

          Openvswitch Kernel Module version: Open vSwitch switching datapath 1.11.90

          Openvswitch version: (Open vSwitch) 1.11.90

          OpenFlow versions 0x1:0x4 (from $ ./ovs-ofctl -V)

          OpenvSwitch source git: git clone git://openvswitch.org/openvswitch

          OpenvSwitch git commit: c985ec94a2fe051f083a55d67311e643a432a7ae

However we have been facing some problems to run some of the user commands in Android, for example,

#this command runs fine

$ ./ovs-vsctl --verbose add-br br0

#this command actually hang. Then we apply  ctl+z to stop

$ ./ovs-vsctl --verbose add-port br0 wlan0

#this command also hang.  Then we apply ctl+z to stop

$ ovs-vsctl add-port br0 vif1.0

#this command runs fine

$ ./ovs-vsctl show

  aff90ca3-aabd-4bf9-84e5-a8b81e6e8a8e

    Bridge "br0"

        Port "vif1.0"

            Interface "vif1.0"

        Port "wlan0"

            Interface "wlan0"

        Port "br0"

            Interface "br0"

                type: internal

#this command shows error

$ ./ovs-ofctl --verbose dump-flows br0

ovs-ofctl: /data/local/tmp/run/openvswitch/br0.mgmt: failed to open socket (Connection refused)

Can you please help on explaining the possible reason of such error?

Here is more details about the files in "/data/local/tmp/run/openvswitch/"

shell at android:/data/local/tmp # ls -l /data/local/tmp/run/openvswitch/

srwx------ root     root              2013-06-12 20:17 br0.mgmt

srwx------ root     root              2013-06-12 20:17 br0.snoop

srwx------ root     root              2013-06-12 20:16 db.sock

srwx------ root     root              2013-06-12 20:17 ovs-vswitchd.1703.ctl

-rw-rw-rw- root     root            5 2013-06-12 20:17 ovs-vswitchd.pid

srwx------ root     root              2013-06-12 20:16 ovsdb-server.1691.ctl

-rw-rw-rw- root     root            5 2013-06-12 20:16 ovsdb-server.pid

The attached file "verbosecmd.txt" shows the output of the above commands with verbose enable.

The details of building and installing openvswitch for android can be found in the file "Build-Openvswitch.txt".

In order build the openvswitch a patch file "ovs_android.patch" and a script file "envsetup.sh" is required. More details about using these two files can be found in "Build-Openvswitch.txt".

Regards

Mostafa Uddin

http://cs.odu.edu/~muddin