[ovs-dev] [threads 11/11] Makefile: Blacklist functions that threaded programs cannot use safely.

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Thu Jun 20 19:25:17 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 11:23:38AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:27:01AM -0700, Andy Zhou wrote:
> > Looks good.  Do we need to filter the warnings out from comments if they
> > are not to be used in the code?
>
> It's not easy to reliably filter out warnings from comments.  It's
> usually easy to avoid mentioning these functions in comments.  If it
> becomes a problem, we can do something else.

Oh, I see what you mean now.  I guess I did try to filter out comments and
forgot that I did that.  I wrote this patch over a month ago, even
though I only sent it out for the first time this week.

When I remove the code that filters out comments, the following lines
get flagged:

    ../lib/random.c:34: * We use this PRNG instead of libc's rand() because rand() varies in quality
    ../lib/util.c:649: * similar to the POSIX dirname() function but thread-safe. */
    ../lib/util.c:667: * similar to the POSIX basename() function but thread-safe. */
    ../ovsdb/ovsdb-client.c:704:         * going to strtok() it and that's risky with literal "". */
    See above for list of calls to functions that are
    blacklisted due to thread safety issues

I think that these comments are valuable enough that I don't want to
delete or mangle them.  What do you think?

Thanks,

Ben.