[ovs-dev] 802.1ad QinQ

Thomas F Herbert thomasfherbert at gmail.com
Wed May 1 22:30:43 UTC 2013

All,

I would like to introduce once again the subject of stacked vlans. We
have implemented a network edge device using 802.1ad. It is currently
implemented on Linux with iproute2 and a patched kernel but we  would
like to re-implement it with openvswitch.

I have read earlier discussion in this mailing list that 802.1ad is not
implemented but it seems to be at least partially in the code.

I am trying to scope how much effort there would be to implement support
for stacked vlans of some flavor in openflow.However, it looks as if a
great deal of this work has already been done.

For example, I have been going through the code in the 1.11 branch and I
see this structure various places:

struct ovs_action_push_vlan {
     __be16 vlan_tpid;    /* 802.1Q TPID. */
     __be16 vlan_tci;    /* 802.1Q TCI (VLAN ID and priority). */
};

I also see this patch in the archives,
http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2012-June/017785.html
that seems to do the job or not? However I also see warnings elsewhere
in the code about using 88a8 ethertype but why should open vswitch care
if it is in the kernel?
<http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2012-June/017785.html>
1. Is there current support for pseudo stacked vlans if the outer
Ethertype is 8100 instead of 88a8?
2. Can the above push action described above applied recursively?
3. Is the limitation about 802.1ad because of the presumed lack of
support in the kernel (in the case of Linux) for 802.1ad. If the
limitation is in the kernel and not in openvswitch, I can solve that
problem easily. As stated above I have 802.1ad running on 3.1.10 in
conjunction with iproute2.
4. We may be interested in contributing a complete implementation of
802.1ad and maybe 802.1ah. What is your sense of the LOE?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

--Tom