[ovs-dev] [bfd] bfd: Implement Bidirectional Forwarding Detection.

Rajahalme, Jarno (NSN - FI/Espoo) jarno.rajahalme at nsn.com
Wed May 8 05:48:52 UTC 2013

Ethan,

Looking at the code, it seems to me that there is no link from BFD to OpenFlow PORT_STATUS message. I might be wrong, but it seems possible that BFD indicated port state changes could be communicated to the controller with the OFPPS_LIVE (= OFPUTIL_PS_LIVE) status bit, using the ofproto_port_set_state() function.

This from the OpenFlow 1.3.1 spec:

"- A port is considered live if it has the OFPPS_LIVE flag set in its port state. Port liveness may be managed by code outside of the OpenFlow portion of a switch, defined outside of the OpenFlow spec (such as Spanning Tree or a KeepAlive mechanism). At a minimum, the port should not be considered live if the port config bit OFPPC_PORT_DOWN indicates the port is down, or if the port state bit OFPPS_LINK_DOWN indicates the link is down."

OFPPS_LIVE is specified for OF1.1+ with a comment "Live for Fast Failover Group", but I don't see why the bit could not be used also without any failover groups. Thoughts?

   Jarno