[ovs-dev] my code for review is now available from github

Kyle Mestery (kmestery) kmestery at cisco.com
Tue May 21 17:09:04 UTC 2013

On May 21, 2013, at 11:58 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 04:05:50PM +0000, Kyle Mestery (kmestery) wrote:
>> On May 21, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>>> As an organizational tool for developers who might be interested in
>>> reviewing my code, I've now posted all my outstanding unreviewed (or
>>> review in progress) code as branches in the github repository visible on
>>> the web at:
>>>       https://github.com/blp/ovs-reviews/branches
>>>
>>> This is an experiment to see whether it helps to get my code reviewed
>>> more promptly.  For now, I plan to keep the repository up-to-date as I
>>> post new patch series, apply feedback, and merge code into the master
>>> repository.  If the experiment is successful, then I'll continue to do
>>> this indefinitely.
>>>
>>> You can clone the repository via:
>>>       git://github.com/blp/ovs-reviews.git
>>> or
>>>       https://github.com/blp/ovs-reviews.git
>>> and probably other ways too.
>>
>> This is actually quite handy Ben. One thing which I think would be
>> interesting to look at in the context of reviewing OVS code would be
>> to incorporate a tool like Gerritt. Have you given any thought to
>> this? I realize this is perhaps heavy handed given the number of
>> people contributing to upstream OVS at this time, but may help out
>> specifically with reviews.
>
> If Gerrit is the tool like Gerrit, the short answer is no.  The long
> answer is here:
>        http://benpfaff.org/writings/gerrit.html

Wow, I think I had read these comments before. There are valid
concerns there. I think once the project reaches a certain size,
something like Gerrit is a good solution, though.

> We are thinking about setting up a patchwork instance like the one
> used for netdev.  If we get it going and it works out, then I'll stop
> using my reviews repository.

This sounds interesting, I'll have to look this up a bit more and read
about how it works, any pointers you can share would be great.

> Is there another tool that you have used and found to be valuable?

Email still works best, but I'm intrigued to try out your repository
approach as well.

Thanks,
Kyle