[ovs-dev] OpenvSwitch version for Ubuntu Saucy + Kernel 3.9/3.10

James Page james.page at ubuntu.com
Wed May 29 14:16:45 UTC 2013

Hi OpenvSwitch Devs

Ubuntu Saucy development has been open for a while and the Ubuntu kernel
team are currently targeting either Linux 3.9 or 3.10 for this release.

Currently the 1.9.0 DKMS source is unhappy with 3.9 - I've hacked on it
for a bit and although it definitely possible to backport/fixup enough
to make it work with Linux >= 3.9 I wondered whether 1.10 would make a
better base; I was able to get things up and running with the following
commits:

f8dfbcb77d7678fa19b4de0f94118b713f74ffb8: datapath: hlist: drop the node
parameter from iterators
29285b6286493965a36ae3eff5983457f85cd087: datapath: Backport simplified
hlist iterators.

plus the normal change to datapath.c to increase the range of supported
kernel versions.

Also I think the VXLAN support in 1.10 is of interest to OpenStack users
(the Havana release should grow support for this).  The version of
OpenvSwitch that ships with Saucy will also be provided to support
OpenStack Havana on Ubuntu 12.04.

Any thoughts/guidance as always much appreciated!

Cheers

James

--
James Page