[ovs-dev] Fedora 19 - gre broken/incompatible with openvswitch latest master?

Nithin Nayak Sujir nsujir at broadcom.com
Tue Nov 19 01:50:48 UTC 2013

>> However, I'm not able to ping vm-vm. Digging into this, I see it's because
>> ARP is not resolved. On the destination system, I see the GRE encapsulated
>> ARP packets being received at p4p1 and br0. But they don't get forwarded and
>> delivered via br2 - tap0 to the VM and therefore get no reply.
>
> There shouldn't be any differences in requirements. Are you sure that
> the GRE module initialized correctly (look in dmesg for OVS-related
> errors) and there are no iptables rules?

I see these errors which don't appear with the inbox openvswitch driver.

[ 4198.153985] gre_compat_init: cannot register gre_cisco protocol handler
[ 4198.153988] openvswitch: cannot register gre protocol handler

I build using the steps from INSTALL.
./boot.sh
./configure --with-linux=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
make
sudo make install
sudo make modules_install

There *was* one thing that I had to do which was ugly. I had to rename the inbox
driver and run depmod -a to make modprobe load the one I built. Without this, my
custom built module under /lib/modules/3.11.8-200.fc19.x86_64/extra/ was not
being loaded with a modprobe. It would still load the old inbox one. I don't
know if that matters or points to something wrong I'm doing.