[ovs-dev] Windows port status

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Wed Nov 20 00:01:21 UTC 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 03:33:30PM -0800, Saurabh Shah wrote:
> The Makefile rule would probably do the job in this case, but for a
> more generic use case we probably need some sort of a pre-checkin
> build sanitizer. For e.g. how will we prevent unix system calls from
> being introduced (assuming no WIN32 handling)?

That's much less of a problem because it will get caught by the
compiler or the linker.  Bad format specifiers can linger
indefinitely, until something actually triggers the message in
question and, if it's bad enough, you get a segfault and a core dump
to review.

In other words bad system calls are level 2 but bad format specifiers
are level 6 or maybe even level 8 on the "Hard to Misuse Interface"
scale:

http://www.technovelty.org/badcode/rusty-russells-quothard-to-misusequot-rules.html