[ovs-dev] Support for in_phy_port

Simon Horman horms at verge.net.au
Tue Nov 26 00:04:00 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:09:30AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:09:55PM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> > as far as I can tell no one is actively working on the following item in
> > OPENFLOW-1.1+. So I have made a start it.
> >
> >     * The new in_phy_port field in OFPT_PACKET_IN needs some kind of
> >       implementation.  It has a sensible interpretation for tunnels
> >       but in general the physical port is not in the datapath for OVS
> >       so the value is not necessarily meaningful.  We might have to
> >       just fix it as the same as in_port.
> >       [required for OF1.1; optional for OF1.2+]
>
> Sounds good!  I hope you're planning to do something simple.

My main plan is to allow communication of the in_phy_port field
between ovs-vswtichd and the datapath by adding a new netlink key.
Then to expose that in packet_in messages. I also have it in mind
to allow matching on the in_phy_port, but probably later.

As for determining the in_phy_port. My plan is to determine the vport that
tunneled packets arrive on in their encapsulated form and use that as the
in_phy_port. I plan to not set the in_phy_port for non-tunnelled packets;
to set it to the same as in_port for non-tunnelled; or some combination of
the two depending on how the code pans out.