[ovs-dev] error when building openvswitch klm

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Mon Apr 7 16:23:22 UTC 2014

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 6:11 PM, sowmini varadhan <sowmini05 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've built and booted up a kernel built from a recent-ish kernel.git.
> Uname -r reports: 3.14.0-rc3+
>
> Then I try to set up openvswitch 1.10.2 thus:
>   ./configure --with-linux=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>   make
>
> but now actions.o does not compile: complains  that
> ${kernel_src}/include/linux/netdevice.h:3144:5: error: 'struct
> sk_buff' has no member named 'mac'
>
> Looks like configure decided to define MAC_RAW, and I'm inheriting unwanted
> #defines from ${openvswitch-1.2-src}/datapath/linux/compat/include/skbuff.h
>
> Is this a known gotcha? Is there a way around it?
>
> fwiw, openvswitch-2.1 will not even get past configure - errors
> out telling me that kernels newer than 3.11.x are not supported,
> so perhaps 1.10.2 doesn't support this either, but is missing
> the explicit `configure' error?

All of these versions of OVS long predate the kernel that you are
trying to use, so they don't support it. However, you should just be
able to use the version of the OVS kernel module packaged with the
upstream kernel that you are using (although I would still recommend
using a newer version of OVS userspace for performance reasons).