[ovs-dev] Flow timeout for datapath flows

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Tue Apr 15 06:13:20 UTC 2014

On April 14, 2014 at 8:42:54 PM, Neelakantam Gaddam (neelugaddam at gmail.com) wrote:

> Can we have control on flow timeout in datapath in the latest 2.1 OVS
> version?

The next release will have a "max-idle" that can increase the amount of time flows will stay when idle.  However, ovs-vswitchd can still remove the flow before that time.  It's really a testing knob, though, and not meant for end-user configuration.  It will likely be removed in the future.

> Is there any way to modify the userspace daemon so that datapath flows stay
> longer duration?

Not without a major rewrite.  We often get this request, but haven't seen a compelling reason in practice.  If the default behavior isn't working properly, we should look at whether we can make it better.

--Justin