[ovs-dev] datapath-windows: Could we rename the files please?

Nithin Raju nithin at vmware.com
Wed Aug 6 17:52:21 UTC 2014

On Aug 6, 2014, at 2:48 AM, Samuel Ghinet <sghinet at cloudbasesolutions.com>
 wrote:

> Hello Nithin,
>
> I'd like to highlight two points here:
> 1. the "datapath" on linux doesn't have all files Ovs-prefixed. I don't think there's a specific requirement for datapath-windows for that.

Sure, we don't have a requirement that the files should be prefixed with "Ovs". We just followed a convention - consistently. If you think it improves readibility if we don't have Ovs, I don't have any objections to it.

> 2. the "datapath" on linux uses a lot of functionality of the linux kernel (such as, the netlink protocol).
> My belief is that the datapath-windows will, in time, need more things added to it, things that the windows kernel API does not provide for us (one would be, windows netlink protocol), which would inevitably make the file structure more complex.

Sure, if something is a self-contained entity and outside of the "core" OVS logic, it can reside in its own sub-directory. But, there has to be such code, first, is my belief. Netlink might be a candidate. If there are more than 3-4 files, it is better to put them in a separate directory. Similarly for the crypto library we talked about in another thread, to complete any IPSec offloads in the future. If it is a self-cotained entity outside of the core OVS logic, sure, it can go in its own sub-directory.

thanks,
Nithin