[ovs-dev] Adding a new action to flow rules

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Tue Aug 19 15:00:07 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Aditya Kamath <adityakamath at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am a student newly starting to work on a research project on OpenVSwitch. I have to add a data structure to the OVS kernel module to perform some statistics of the incoming packets. Also I want to be able to control this data structure from the controller, and make this data structure a part of a flow rule action.
>
> I tried tracing through the code to figure it out myself , but I haven’t been able to figure it out.
> Could someone please give me directions on how to achieve this?
If I had to do a project like this, I would do a 'git log -p' and then
reverse search for different actions in 'man ovs-ofctl'. Pick an
action that is similar to what you want to do, and see when it was
introduced and then look through all the patches in that series to get
a good picture. It should atleast be a starting point.