[ovs-dev] OvsIpHelper vs the ARP method

Nithin Raju nithin at vmware.com
Wed Aug 20 18:27:52 UTC 2014

hi Samuel,
Thanks for resending.

I'm CCing Ben if he as more points.

At a high level, IP helper uses the host Hyper-V's ARP and IP routing stack functionality. At a high level it consists of the following parts:
1. Data structures the maintain the L2 and L3 cache.
2. Functionality to Query the L2 and L3.
   * We rely on the host's routing table to figure out the best interface to reach a destination. This gives the L3 source IP.
   * We rely on the host's ARP table to figure out the mapping between the L3 destination and its L2 address.
3. A thread since we cannot call into IP helper in DPC level as DISPATCH_LEVEL.

Some advantages of doing so are:
a. We don't have to implement an ARP stack as well as a routing table, and the related functionality of:
   * Populating the routing table
   * Listening to ARP, RARP and GARP messages and marking entries as stale etc. It is easer with IP helper since the host provides a nice callback.
b. It is easier to support multiple VTEPs in terms of IP routing stack (Even though OVS on Hyper-V does not support multiple VTEP today).
c. In the future when underly network (ie. VTEP IP) is an IPv6 address, it is complicated to implement and ND6 stack. I mean, Nd6 is a beast in itself compared to ARP.
d. We can work in a mode where there are no PIF bridges (though we don't support this mode today).

I am all for simplifying the IP helper code if you think of better ways of doing it, but changing the model to do ARP ourselves is a little non-scalable I think. Even with an ARP stack implementation, we cannot get away from doing #1 and #2.

But implementing our own ARP stack, maybe we can get rid of #3 by processing the ARP packets inline, but still we might need a thread to do cleanup of stale ARP entries. Otherwise, the data structure can bloat up.

While reviewing the cloudbase code, I inferred that the reason for implementing ARP stack was to be able to operate in the "AllowManagementOS = FALSE" mode. If this discussion is leading into that, then it is a much bigger discussion.

thanks,
Nithin