[ovs-dev] [RFC 00/14] Revalidate flows with unique identifiers.

Joe Stringer joestringer at nicira.com
Fri Aug 22 13:12:57 UTC 2014

Hi Jarno,

There's been a few iterations. The previous 64-bit version was using a
32-bit hash combined with a thread ID.

The 128-bit hash was based on a suggestion to have sufficient bits to
randomly generate the identifiers, however I've since shifted to using the
hash of the flow key---This allows us to remove some backwards
compatibility code. I haven't looked at whether a smaller hash would be
sufficient, perhaps 128 bits is overkill now.