[ovs-dev] [patch net-next RFC 03/12] net: introduce generic switch devices support

Scott Feldman sfeldma at cumulusnetworks.com
Fri Aug 22 23:12:27 UTC 2014

On Aug 22, 2014, at 12:14 PM, John Fastabend <john.fastabend at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/22/2014 05:56 AM, Jiri Pirko wrote:

>>> I thought we had concluded that DSA was a good path forward?  Or maybe at
>>> this stage we need to have several alternative approaches
>>> and we eventually converge?
>>
>> That is true. I'm still unsure how to fit this on to DSA or how to change DSA
>> the way this fits. This is my quest now. Will report back in a week or so.
>>

> I would like to use the flow ops in some of our NICs that have
> a limited flow table in hardware. It might be easier to use the
> NICs as the first implementers of the API even though they are
> usually not as capable or large as flow tables in some of the
> larger switch asics.
>
> In my opinion it can replace the ioctl flow director APIs although
> I don't like how it is tied to OVS in the some of the later RFC patches
> but we can work on that.

I think parallel efforts to get flow ops working on a real NIC with limited capabilities as well our fake enterprise-class rocker switch with full capabilities will really help solidify the swdev API.  Maybe even someone in the background that has access to a real enterprise switch can play along ;).  I hope you’re convinced from my other reply that the intent of swdev is to be independent of OVS.  If the implementation in the RFC doesn’t match the intent, we should fix it.  The elements of the swdev API we need convergence on are:

	- ndo_swdev_* ops to identify switch port and add/del flow match/action
	- struct sw_flow as generic flow match/action description
	- port netdevs to represent physical device ports

And maybe:

	- new device class to represent the switch itself
	- capabilities to express HW capabilities (limits, constraints, etc)

-scott