[ovs-dev] [patch net-next RFC 10/12] openvswitch: add support for datapath hardware offload

Thomas Graf tgraf at suug.ch
Tue Aug 26 16:19:56 UTC 2014

On 08/26/14 at 11:54am, Andy Gospodarek wrote:
> It is easy to *say* it could be added later, but connecting to software
> forwarding in the kernel outside of OVS (which is important to some)
> would take significant effort since this set only connects switch
> hardware to OVS.

Can you explain why that effort is more significant if a flow API
added first? I'm not saying it is easy to offload the existing
forwarding path, otherwise it would have been done already, but
I don't understand how the proposal makes this any more difficult.

> It may be that all software-based forwarding is done via OVS in the
> future, but it feels like we are long way from that future for those
> that do not want to use an external controller.

Wait... I don't want to use OpenFlow to configure my laptop ;-)

We should leave the controller out of this discussion though. A
controller is not required to run OVS at all. OpenStack Neutron
is a very good example for that. There are even applications which
use the OVS kernel datapath but not the OVS user space portion.
We have a wide set of APIs serving different purposes and need to
account for all of them. I'm as much interested in an offloaded
nftables and tc command as you.