[ovs-dev] Understanding different ovs components

Mehul Vora mehuljv at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 2 10:42:09 UTC 2014

Hello,
 I am trying to understand different components of ovs. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong,
1. ovsdb-server : Maintains openvswtich configuration databse.
2. ovs-vswitchd : Dameon that controls all Open vSwitch swithces on the local system. When this process is started it gets its initial configuration from OVSDB-SERVER/OVSDB.
3. ovs-vsctl : Connects to ovsdb-server for any configuration changes in the data base and ensures that ovs-vswitchd has also applied all changes.
4. ovs-ofctl : Talks to ovs-vswitchd over OpenFlow to configure flows.
I want to know where are these flows (configured by ovs-ofctl) stored other than ovs-vswitchd. For example, if ovs-vswitchd application crashes for unknown reason, do i lose all flow configurations? Or is it stored in ovsdb by vswitchd?
Thanks,Mehul.