[ovs-dev] vlan tagging anigma

Philip Roth philip.rothy at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 12:05:10 UTC 2014

Hey,
I'm noticing a weird behaviour when a vlan tagged frame arrives to
push_vlan method.
I'm sending a vlan tagged frame to ovs throught port 1 and have the
following rule:
"table=1,in_port=1,actions=push_vlan:0x8100,2" & I'm sniffing all the
traffic on port 2.
When i send a vlan tagged frame, i notice that it's protocol is 0x800 and
not 0x8100, thus it's not entering the "push down vlan" case. instead, it
runs over the current vlan tag with 0.

When i add another vlan frame, again, it doesn't recognize the frame and
replaces the outer one.
BUT when i add three vlan frames, the protocol changes to 0x8100 and i see
FOUR vlan headers.

I can't figure out what's going on. any ideas?

* i use tcpdump / wireshark for sniffing.