[ovs-dev] [RFC] Make openvswitch start before networking.

Gurucharan Shetty shettyg at nicira.com
Thu Jul 10 15:12:01 UTC 2014

One of the problems we have right now is that openvswitch starts after
networking. Many other packages depend on networking. If we create OVS
bridges with IP addresses, then the scripts that start immediately
after networking and before openvswitch can have failures. I see quite
a few bug reports that complain about it.

AFAIK, the reason we cannot start openvswitch before networking is
because we have all OVS binaries in /usr and that can be mounted
through NFS (which depends on networking). If I remember correctly,
the only reason not to have OVS binaries in /bin and /sbin is that we
consider it not “really required” for a system.

My argument to move OVS binaries to /bin and /sbin is that, since
installation of OVS packages is done by the system administrator, he
knows that they will end up in /bin and /sbin and has an option not to
install it if he feels it should not end up in /bin and /sbin. It
looks to me that making openvswitch start before networking will solve
quite a few problems.

Is there anything obvious that I am missing here?

Thanks,
Guru