[ovs-dev] [RFC] Make openvswitch start before networking.

Flavio Leitner fbl at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 18:11:48 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 08:12:01AM -0700, Gurucharan Shetty wrote:
> One of the problems we have right now is that openvswitch starts after
> networking. Many other packages depend on networking. If we create OVS
> bridges with IP addresses, then the scripts that start immediately
> after networking and before openvswitch can have failures. I see quite
> a few bug reports that complain about it.

In case of systemd, the admin can easily write a local unit that
requires network and openvswitch to be up before run the service.
See below.

> AFAIK, the reason we cannot start openvswitch before networking is
> because we have all OVS binaries in /usr and that can be mounted
> through NFS (which depends on networking). If I remember correctly,
> the only reason not to have OVS binaries in /bin and /sbin is that we
> consider it not “really required” for a system.

What about when the controller is on network? You have to have that up
(networking-wise) before bring up the bridge, right?

> My argument to move OVS binaries to /bin and /sbin is that, since
> installation of OVS packages is done by the system administrator, he
> knows that they will end up in /bin and /sbin and has an option not to
> install it if he feels it should not end up in /bin and /sbin. It
> looks to me that making openvswitch start before networking will solve
> quite a few problems.
>
> Is there anything obvious that I am missing here?

Well, that is going in opposite direction of freedesktop.org.  The idea
is to move binaries from /{bin,sbin} to /usr.  For the use-case where
the /usr is on NFS, then add openvswitch support to initramfs.

See these links:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken/
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/

fbl