[ovs-dev] Can VXLAN work with VIP (Keepalived)?

Changbin Liu changbin.liu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 01:37:17 UTC 2014

Hi Folks,

Using Open vSwitch I am setting up VXLAN tunnels between hosts. I intend to
make VXLAN tunnels "highly available" via Keepalived. Specifically, there
are one master node and one backup node for each host, and they share a
Virtual IP (VIP) via Keepalived, and the VXLAN tunnel will use the VIP as
endpoint IP. This way when the master node fails, the backup node will
automatically have the VIP shifted to it. Therefore, human efforts are not
involved in failure recovery.

I thought VXLAN can work with VIP this way, since VXLAN simply uses UDP
packets, and as long as the endpoint VIP does not change, it should work.
But it turns out that it didn't at all. I wonder whether this is intended
behavior or I missed something.

(Please let me know if the problem description is not clear)

Thanks!

Changbin