[ovs-dev] Is there any way to simulate the tunnel traffic in test cases to test IPFIX feature?

Jesse Gross jesse at nicira.com
Wed Jun 4 00:11:30 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 2:51 AM, Wenyu Zhang <wenyuz at vmware.com> wrote:

> I am trying to simulate traffic in test cases to test IPFIX feature.
>
> For normal traffic, I can use "ovs-appctl netdev-dummy/receive " to simulate
> it, just refer to the netflow and sflow cases in tests/ofproto-dpif.at
> And I can capture the IPFIX packets on lo interface as expected.
>
> But for tunnel traffic, I haven't find a workable way to generate this kind
> of traffic.
> For example,  I try to use "ovs-appctl ofproto/trace ovs-dummy" command with
> "-generate" option.
> And we can see that the "sample" actions has been inserted as expected, but
> these actions are not executed, and no IPFIX packets can be captured on lo
> interface.
>
> Anyone knows about the usage of this command? Or other way to generate the
> tunnel traffic to trigger IPFIX sample action? Thanks a lot.

I don't believe that this is implemented. netdev-dummy/receive
constructs a packet from the flow  and the discards everything else.
Since there is no support for additional metadata beyond the input
port or tunneling implemented in the dummy datapath, it basically ends
up looking like a non-tunneled packet arriving on a tunnel port.