[ovs-dev] Support for Provider VLANs

Avinash avinashandrew at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 13:32:50 UTC 2014

Hello,

We made some changes in openvswitch to support provider VLANs
(multiple stacked VLANs also supported). Before sending out the
patches (which we will be doing in the coming mails), lets have a brief
overview of the overall changes made to support provider VLANs.

In general, vlan access port doesn't carry any VLAN traffic. Incoming VLAN
packets are dropped at access port. But to support provider VLANs,
access port should not drop VLAN packets. Instead it should
double tag the incoming VLAN packets.

So a new parameter is introduced for access port to support multiple
VLAN tagging (provider VLANs). If this new parameter is not set for
access port, there is not change in the current behavior.

There is no significance in setting this parameter for other than access ports.
There behavior of trunk, native-tagged and native-untagged ports remains
the same irrespective of this setting.

The following changes are implemented in the patches:

Datapath: Should recognize 802.1AD ethertype. No major changes in
kernel space, executing the specified does the job.

Userspace:
- Should recognise 802.1AD tag.
- Library changes to support stacked VLANs.
- push and pop vlans has to be handled depending on the configuration
of port (vlan_mode and dvlan_tags)

Testing:
1. Tested these changes between VMs launched on openvswitch.
  - Tested VM to VM to communication
  - Tested VM to external communication
2. All the existing UTs cases are passing.

Ongoing/Future Plans:
1. Make some changes in normalize-actions utility to support stacked VLANs.
2. Implement new unit test cases.

Please let us know your ideas on this.

Thanks,
Avinash.