[ovs-dev] [Backport] Backport max-idle to branch-1.10 - branch-2.1.

Ethan Jackson ethan at nicira.com
Fri Jun 20 18:11:05 UTC 2014

> I think the setting of 1.5 seconds is due to inexperience and needs to be drastically changed. If flow timeout is specified on the OpenFlow command, the exact match flow timeout should use the OpenFlow set timeout and not an arbitrary value since there was probably a reason for setting the particular value.

The 1.5 second number does not come from inexperience, in fact exactly
the opposite.  Over years of running Open vSwitch in multiple
production deployments, we've found that a key factor in maintaining
reasonable performance is management of the datapath flow cache.  If
the idle timeout is too large, then the datapath fills up with unused
flows which stress the revalidators and take up space that newer more
useful flows could occupy.  I can see that when doing performance
testing a larger number may be more convenient, which is why we allow
it to be configured.  That said, we don't intend to change the
default.

Ethan

age-----