[ovs-dev] How to set forwarding delay of OVS bridge

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Sat Jun 21 00:28:08 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Changbin Liu <changbin.liu at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Right, I tried other values like 4 and 30, same thing, still 15 seconds
> delay.

When I try it, I see 11 seconds as the minimum based on your other
configuration values.  According to this definition from the spec, 11
seconds is correct based on the max age you have configured:

    2 × (Bridge_Forward_Delay – 1.0 seconds) >= Bridge_Max_Age
  If you bring the max age down to six seconds, you'll get a four second
forward delay.

I also wonder why it must be 4-30 seconds. Linux bridge supports setting
> forwarding delay to 0, so that VM live migration won't have network
> disruptions.

It's defined that way in the 802.1D specification.

--Justin