[ovs-dev] Help for java (bindings?) development

Lori Jakab lojakab at cisco.com
Mon Mar 10 12:39:04 UTC 2014

Hi Pasquale,

On 3/8/14, 2:09 PM, Pasquale Dir wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd need to create some java apis who would allow to interact with
> openvswitch, creating bridges, adding ports, creating gre tunnels...in
> short: the exact same thing ovs-vsctl does.
>
> As c code seems fairly complex I write here to ask your help.
> I have two ideas:
> 1)Make some java bindings using jna. This would require a .so version
> of ovs-vsctl..if making it is not complicated it would be the fastest
> option, but I would need some help in order to create it (or, if some
> good guy wants to compile it for me I would really appreciate it).
> 2)From what I understood ovs-vsctl just interacts with the db using
> json, so I could create my own library. But I don't know on which port
> db waits, if some authentication is needed, how tables are made, what
> syntax use, ecc. So in this case I would need some reference.

Depending on what you want do exactly, you may find the OpenDaylight
OVSDB Client project useful: it implements an OVSDB client library in
Java, and exports a REST northbound API.  It also has code to do some of
the common ovs-vsctl functions like adding and deleting ports, etc.

https://wiki.opendaylight.org/view/OVSDB_Integration:Main

-Lori