[ovs-dev] [RFC 0/9] Cache the modules affected by xlate_actions().

Joe Stringer joestringer at nicira.com
Tue Mar 18 02:45:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:

> I applied patches 1 through 4 to master.

Great, thanks.

> I think I'm happy with patches 5 through 7, but I want Ethan's
> feedback on them.

Likewise. I've responded to Ethan's initial query, and we'll see how the
discussion goes.

> You noted that the later patches cause testsuite failures.  We'll need
> to resolve those, one way or another, before we can apply them.  Any
> particular feedback you're looking for in the meantime?

Regarding the testsuite failures, the problem is that we wait a certain
amount of time and check the datapath flows to ensure that they are as
expected. Patch #8 causes most flows (anything with <8KB/s traffic) to be
deleted when it is dumped, rather than waiting for the max_idle time. Do
you have a sense of whether it would be better to:
* Modify the tests to check that packets flowing through have the correct
behaviour rather than comparing the dp flows, or
* Add a flag to disable the threshold logic, and add that flag to the tests
so flows with <8KB/s traffic will not be immediately deleted in the test
scenarios,
* Or some other alternative

If there is nothing too obvious that I may have missed from the
xlate_actions() functionality, then that will do for the moment.