[ovs-dev] [PACKET_OUT v2] ofproto-dpif: treat non-datapath ports as local port for OFPT_PACKET_OUT

YAMAMOTO Takashi yamamoto at valinux.co.jp
Thu May 1 06:59:20 UTC 2014

>> Something like this (I have not tested either scenario):
>>
>>   I think this will fail to match but that may not be obvious to users:
>>   packet_out: in_port=CONTROLLER actions=goto_table:1
>>   table 1: match=in_port=CONTROLLER actions=normal
>>
>>   I think this will match but that may not be obvious to users:
>>   packet_out: in_port=CONTROLLER actions=goto_table:1
>>   table 1: match=in_port=LOCAL actions=normal
>>
>>   Where CONTROLLER could be any port covered by this patch.
>>
> Only ODP ports are changed to LOCAL, so simple rule matches as
> outlined should work.
> However, this scenario is valid when recirculation is involved. I am
> not sure what we should
> do about this edge case either.

how about having a userspace-only special variant of RECIRC action,
which can specify in_port as (ofproto, ofp port) and thus can be
used even when odp port is not available?

if a translation detects the condition (ie. recirculation is necessary
but in_port does not have the corresponding odp port), it can use
the userspace variant with SLOW_ACTION instead of normal RECIRC.

YAMAMOTO Takashi