[ovs-dev] OVS-on-Hyper-v: items to discuss for 9/16 IRC meeting

Nithin Raju nithin at vmware.com
Wed Sep 17 22:31:27 UTC 2014

Just wanted to summarize the meeting for future reference:

Attendees: Samuel Ghinet, Alin Serdean, Ankur Sharma, Eitan Eliahu, Nithin Raju

> 1. statuses: DP commands, VPORT commands, Flow commands, Event commands

- Review for DP commands SET_DP and GET_DP along with transaction semantics has been posted by Nithin.
- VPORT Dump command review has been posted by Sam.
- Eitan will be posting review for kernel implementation of Event commands. The code is out for internal (in VMware) review.
- Ankur is working on his changes for Flow dump and Flow Add. He'll be posting his review soon.

- There was discussion on whether the kernel should always return a reply in a transaction. The discussion seemed to be gearing towards a 'yes'. The patch posted by Nithin does not do this.
- There was also a discussion of transaction errors embedded in the netlink message. Sam said that he'll add code for this in the kernel since VPORT commands need it to return ENODEV. The userspace transaction code Nithin added handles this already and passed up the transaction error up to the code issueing the transaction.

> 2. dpif-linux.c porting to Windows

- Alin said he'll post the patch to accomplish the following (and has since posted the patch):
  * s/linux/netlink in dpif-linux.c
  * make the file compile on Windows by keeping Linux specific code within #ifndef _WIN32.
- We decided to decouple the dpif-linux and the netdev for windows patch.

> 3. netdev for windows
- Some background research needs to be done on this, since it is not very clear the exact dependency on netlink. On clear dependency is to query the status of 'system' ports in show_dpif() function. But, it seems like we can workaround that by marking the hyper-v internal port as a 'netdev' port and not an 'internal' port.
- Nithin to post his findings in addition to the bits of information provided by Alin, Eitan and Sam. We'll be deciding on one of the following two approaches:
  a) implement netdev-windows.c which calls Windows userspace API to get the status of network adapters
  b) implement commands in OVS that are outside of the standard set to retrieve the information about each netdev

> 4. Pending reviews
- We agreed we'll review each others code by tomorrow.

5. Samuel brought up the issue of port numbers being less than MAXUINT16 in the Linux kernel.
- We discussed and agreed that this should not have any bearing on the Windows kernel datapath since OVS userspace seems to be equipped to handle UINT32 as the port number size.
454  * 'name' and 'type' are suitable for passing to netdev_open(). */
455 struct dpif_port {
456     char *name;                 /* Network device name, e.g. "eth0". */
457     char *type;                 /* Network device type, e.g. "system". */
458     odp_port_t port_no;         /* Port number within datapath. */
459 };

and odp_port_t number is defined as:
     typedef uint32_t OVS_BITWISE odp_port_t;

thanks,
-- Nithin