[ovs-dev] Modification in ovs-ofctl commands for implementation of Importance parameter.

Shashwat Srivastava shashwat.srivastava at tcs.com
Thu Sep 25 04:18:44 UTC 2014

Hi Team,

We are working on the implementation on eviction mechanism on basis of
importance as per openflow specs-1.4. We have added importance parameter
in the flow entry.

Following is our understanding for Delete Flow mechanism:
We have studied the code and have found that OFPFC_DELETE_STRICT specifies
only two fields on which flow is deleted which are OUT_PORT & PRIORITY
i.e. flows are deleted only on the basis of out_port and priority
specified in the del-flows command. Please confirm whether there will be
any change in "ovs-ofctl del-flows [--strict] ..... " command by
specifying importance in it as it is not specified anywhere in specs that
deletion of flows should be done on basis of importance and its
significance is only to evict flows.

Following is our understanding for Mod Flow mechanism:
For "ovs-ofctl mod-flows ... " we think that their will be no change with
respect to "importance". Openflow-specs 1.4 specifies on page 36 that in
both cases (with strict and without strict) their will be change only in
instructions field. Fields of hard_timeout, idle_timeout, cookies, flags
and counters & also priority remains unchanged.
Also when we were trying to modify the flows, we were able to change the
cookie value and action using the mod-flows command. Whereas we were not
able to modify flow for priority or timeout.

Query : As per our understanding of code and open flow specs 1.4 we think
that, mod-flows..... & del-flows.... command will not change after
implementation of importance field in the flow, as significance of
IMPORTANCE field is only for eviction mechanism. Kindly confirm the same.

Regards
Shashwat Srivastava
Mailto: shashwat.srivastava at tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com