[ovs-dev] Understanding the contribution model of OVS with GIT

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Tue Sep 30 15:42:56 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 01:44:49PM +0530, Rishi Bamba wrote:
> I just need to mention and get a confirmation on the process we are following for contribution to the OpenvSwitch i.e in line with contributing document of the Dev forum.This is mainly how we are using GIT for the same.
>

>     1.
> Fork the repository from the main OVS official repository(https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs).
>     2.
> Create a development branch in our forked repository.
>     3.
> Make changes and commit on the development branch of our forked repository.
>     4.
> Push the development branch to our forked repository.
>     5.
> Format-patch or diff from the master branch of our forked repository with development branch of our forked repository.
>     6.
> Create the Patch.

We only care about the patch that you post.  Otherwise, you may follow
any development process you find convenient.

> Query 2 : Do we need to synchronize the forked master branch with the
> official OVS repository , if yes how often ?

The patches you post should be based on the latest master.  It doesn't
matter to us how you do that.

> Query 3 : When do we merge the forked master branch with the forked
> development branch OR is it like the development branch is directly
> taken on finalizing the code via a pull request.

I don't understand that question.  The patches you post should be based
on the latest master.  It doesn't matter to us how you do that.

> Query 4 : If a patch that is already in review and the same is the
> basis of another patch that needs to be submitted later, do we have to
> wait for review completion of the first patch or we can submit another
> patch mentioning the details about previous patch i.e already under
> review.

It's best to post related patches together in one series.  If you can't
do that, make sure you tell us that a new patch depends on one currently
under review.