[ovs-dev] Sketch implementation in OVS

Aditya Kamath adityakamath at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 15:49:47 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I am a research student working on a project of implementing count-min sketches in OpenVSwitch. I have had some success with modifying the kernel module to intercept packets and add required fields to the sketch. As the next step I want to add a flow action to divert traffic to the sketches.

I had contacted Ethan Jackson(ethan at nicira.com), whose contact I obtained from my guide, and he suggested me to add an entry in the ofp_raw_action_type struct located in lib/ofp-actions.c and then fix the build errors that arise.

After some reading of the code and the changes I had to make to fix the errors I was able to do build it. My question is whether this flow rule is located in the userspace switch or the kernel module. I have seen that the build system did not make me change any files in the kernel module where some of the other actions are implemented.
If its not part of the kernel module, could someone please give me directions on how to add the custom action to the kernel module as well.

Thanks and regards.
Aditya Kamath