[ovs-dev] Offloading OVS Flows to the device.

Mehul Vora mehuljv at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 05:05:08 UTC 2015

Hello,
I am working on PF/VF driver for PCI-E based SR-IOV capable card. This device has got few cpus and ram and is capable of running linux and any linux-userland application on the device it self. Register layout (for datapath like TX/RX ring, stats etc.) between host and device is defined by the software running on the device and hence it can be extended to offload any feature as per the need.
Currently i run application on device which exposes device as a Network Interface card with 16 Functions (1PF + 15VF). At present i steer packets to a particular port/function based on the L2 Destination address. I want to extend this to support OVS style of forwarding (lookup + action) rather than only L2 Dest Address.
I came across ovs-dp-offload changes available in linux-3.19.3 for offloading flows to device. I have following questions regarding the same,
1. Is there any device driver that makes use of these changes to offload flows/action ?
2. I saw a new "netlink" interface added to add flows/actions to the switch device. Does ovs-ofctl usethis new netlink to add flows to the hardware? Or is there any other utility to do the same?

Thanks,Mehul.