[ovs-dev] question about availability of Centos 7.1 kernel support

Ben Pfaff blp at nicira.com
Sun Apr 5 17:04:43 UTC 2015

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 08:06:12PM -0700, Sabyasachi Sengupta wrote:
> By "certification" I meant any pre-release testing that you must be doing
> before releasing a new version of ovs, nothing beyond that.. Its fair to
> assume that this would be the starting point for many who are using this
> software. That is, go ahead and grab the latest released version. Its well
> understood there is no certification involved here..

OK.

> That you're refusing to offer any updates of the latest released version of
> OVS in spite of having plans for one (here 2.3.2) to build on the latest
> version of Centos (C7.1), is an altogether different matter..

It's a long-standing policy that we do not add new features to release
branches, at least after the .0 release for that branch.

The real problem here is that 2.4 is taking an unreasonable amount of
time.  That's mostly a problem of coordination with upstream Linux,
which I don't know how to avoid.

You have two very reasonable paths to get a kernel module for the kernel
in question:

        * Build one from master.

        * Build one as part of the kernel in question.

The fact that you can't also build one from a released OVS tarball is
hardly a huge deal.