[ovs-dev] ovn-nbd - name change?

Justin Pettit jpettit at nicira.com
Wed Apr 15 07:32:24 UTC 2015

> On Apr 14, 2015, at 7:46 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at nicira.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 04:29:11PM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
>> Someone just pointed out to me that the name "ovn-nbd" might cause
>> confusion, as "nbd" is already used in the virtualization context for
>> "Network Block Device".
>>
>> https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/qemu-nbd.c
>>
>> So, what would you think about renaming it?  ovn-northbound?
>> ovn-nbound?  Something else?
>
> "ovn-northd"?

Just to add to the noise, what about "ovn-mpd" (Management Plane Daemon)?  I'm worried about focusing too much on the northbound side, since it's really a translator between the northbound and southbound.  Referring to it as the management plane seems to describe it's functionality a bit more accurately--but it's arguable that control plane and management plane definitions have somewhat lost their crisp definitions with SDN.

--Justin