[ovs-dev] ovn-nbd - name change?

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 12:48:08 UTC 2015

On 04/14/2015 10:46 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 04:29:11PM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
>> Someone just pointed out to me that the name "ovn-nbd" might cause
>> confusion, as "nbd" is already used in the virtualization context for
>> "Network Block Device".
>>
>> https://github.com/qemu/qemu/blob/master/qemu-nbd.c
>>
>> So, what would you think about renaming it?  ovn-northbound?
>> ovn-nbound?  Something else?
>
> "ovn-northd"?
>
> I don't think this is a big issue actually--I hadn't thought about the
> Linux/QEMU network block device support until now--but I don't really
> object.

I didn't think about it either until it was brought up by someone on our
OpenStack team that does a lot of work with libvirt and qemu.  If it
irked him, I figured it might irk others, and it doesn't hurt to
consider a change while it's still early and cheap to do so.

ovn-northd works for me.  Justin pointed out that the focus on
"northbound" doesn't necessarily capture the fact that it actually works
between the nb and sb databases, but that translation is still related
to how we implement the northbound interface.  *shrug*

--
Russell Bryant