[ovs-dev] Neutron Container integration.

Thomas Graf tgraf at noironetworks.com
Wed Apr 22 15:18:40 UTC 2015

On 04/22/15 at 10:56am, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Cool stuff.  It looks like it will help.  To be clear though, what I
> think we need is an HTTP callback.  Neutron needs to be able to notify
> an arbitrary system instead of specifically Nova that a port is ready.
>
> Another way to go about this would be to use Ceilometer.  I think
> Ceilometer could collect port state change notifications off of the
> message bus and an arbitrary system could create alarms on port state
> changes.  However, I think we'd rather avoid that dependency.
>
> There's actually a thread on openstack-dev discussing the more general
> problem here:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-April/060748.html
>
> There are many use cases where we need to be able to communicate
> information back to the API user (which would be the container manager
> in this case).  We don't have a great common solution for it, really.
>
> Going back to the issue at hand, another option would be to just
> implement the same API call that Nova does for receiving the updates.
> You could then configure Neutron to point at that instead of a Nova install.
>
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/neutron/tree/neutron/notifiers/nova.py

An alternative approach is to insert an adapter in front of the
container runtime which performs a connectivity test with a timeout
and delays spawning the application until that succeed.

For Docker this would be a simple pre-hook.

The connectivity test could include reaching a link local address
on the host bridge or even a remote endpoint.

In theory this sounds more scalable and allows to bring up containers
while the host is temporarily isolated (unless remote endpoints are
used for the connectivity check).