[ovs-dev] OVN - L3 Gap between NB schema and Neutron

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Aug 3 14:34:20 UTC 2015

On 08/03/2015 03:36 AM, Amitabha Biswas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think Gal is saying the following - ml2 allows the following:
>
> VM (10.0.0.2) --- Logical_Switch ---- (10.0.0.2) LogicalRouter
>                               |                 |
>                               |                 |
> VM (10.0.1.2) ----+                +-----(10.0.1.2) LogicalRouter
>
> The Logical Switch (OVN_NB) has a one to one mapping to a Logical Datapath
> (OVN_SB).
>
> An alternate schema could be to map Subnets to a Logical Switch instead of
> mapping a Neutron Network to a Logical Switch. This would preserve the
> requirement of a single router port in the Logical Switch table.

I don't think we'd be implementing the Neutron API properly at that
point.  It's my understanding that a Neutron network is supposed to be a
single L2 domain.

I wonder if the above is ever actually used in practice, even if
technically possible.  Is there a reason someone would prefer the above
example topology instead of putting each subnet on its own network?

--
Russell Bryant