[ovs-dev] Open vSwitch Flow slicing / splitting

Dario Banfi ambigioz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 02:13:57 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am trying to split a flow in multiple subflows in order to do a multipath routing.
This has been done in many research projects:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=7019842 <http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=7019842>
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140366414003715 <http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140366414003715>

However none of them concretely states how it was done.
I have implemented something similar to: https://github.com/saeenali/openvswitch/wiki/Stochastic-Switching-using-Open-vSwitch-in-Mininet <https://github.com/saeenali/openvswitch/wiki/Stochastic-Switching-using-Open-vSwitch-in-Mininet> , but the packets all go through
SLOW_CONTROLLER shutting of kernel caching and making the performance terrible.

It was proposed to modify the “sample kernel action” here, http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-February/051293.html <http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2015-February/051293.html>

- Does anybody know how to find more resources on this “sample action”, as I couldn’t find anything and I don’t even know from where I could start to modify it.
- Is there any other simpler way to do this?

Thanks in advance.