[ovs-dev] [RFC 00/55] Add Python 3 support.

Russell Bryant russell at ovn.org
Mon Dec 21 23:20:42 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 11:37:00AM -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > $ make check TESTSUITEFLAGS="-k pep8"
> >
> > Another option would be to run this part at ovs build time, similar to a
> > number of other checks currently being done.
> >
> > $ grep 'ALL_LOCAL.*\-check' Makefile.am
> > ALL_LOCAL += config-h-check
> > ALL_LOCAL += printf-check
> > ALL_LOCAL += static-check
> > ALL_LOCAL += thread-safety-check
> > ALL_LOCAL += manpage-check
> >
> > Here's what that would look like.  I don't have a strong opinion on
> > whether it belongs just in 'make check' or at build time.
>
> How fast does it run?  If it's quick then I'd lean toward doing it at
> build time.

On my laptop, it takes a little over 4 seconds the first time and a little
over 2 seconds for any subsequent run.  The first time it has a little more
work to do to set up a virtual python environment.

The patch I have for it makes it only run once and then again only if
Python files change.  I can append it to v2 of this series if the time
seems reasonable.

--
Russell Bryant