[ovs-dev] Creating a libopenvswitch-dev package

Ben Warren ben at skyportsystems.com
Thu Dec 31 23:24:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

We use Go as our system programming language, and interact extensively with ovs-vswitchd.  Since we’re also keen on the latest things going into Openvswitch (currently using conntrack and looking forward to NAT), a vanilla Openflow client isn’t very useful - we really need something like ovs-ofctl that handles all the extensions.  I’ve been playing around with writing a Go wrapper for libopenvswitch.so and takes advantage of all the wonderful parsing and serdes functions that the OVS team has written.  I have it working well, but there’s a lot of hackery around getting header files in the right places.  We’re also a Debian shop, and I’d really like to be able to distribute the shared libraries and header files in the vein of libfoo-dev packages.

I’m happy to do the leg work to make this happen, but would like some guidance on how the files should be organized.  I see that there are already rules for assembling the “include/openvswitch” and “include/openflow” headers, but not the core ones in “lib” that I need.  I found some discussion on the mailing list from when the “—enable-shared” configure option was added, mainly about API versioning etc, so it seems that mine isn’t a new idea, and there are probably others that would benefit.

thanks,
Ben