[ovs-dev] ovsdb-idl

Papudippu, Sreedhar Reddy sreedharr at hp.com
Tue Feb 10 19:25:47 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I have been wondering why doesn open-vswitch code  links the entire "lib/libopenvswitch.la" into every binary in the code.

Isn't that very in-efficient? Shouldn't we create separate libraries based on some logical divide, and then link the libraries based on the need.

We should have created the following libraries in the source code.
1)      LACP.a.
2)      Sflow.a
3)      Vlog.a
4)      Ovsdb_client.a
5)      Etc......

That will give flexibility to developers who want to create their own tools based on open-vswitch code.

With the current design, a developer has to link almost the entire "lib/libopenvswitch.la" even in a small tool which uses ovsdb.

Can someone through some history behind this design.

If there is no specific reason, can I separate these things into small logical libraries and submit the patch?

Regards
Sreedhar